Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Snow, sun & brownies

As a native from the Fraser Valley in BC, I can honestly say that there are some things that I appreciate about the prairie winter weather since living in Calgary. 1) Even when it gets so cold that your skin can freeze, you can still usually see the sunshine. 2) We are usually blessed with chinooks that take the edge off every couple days. 3)When the rain comes, I appreciate it more since it reminds me of home and makes me feel very cozy. 4) When it does snow, it commits & snows, instead of the freezing rain/slush/snow that is much worse to drive in back home. 5) There a better chance of having a white Christmas (but I have been very disappointed the past couple years). HOWEVER... This crazy Spring weather is beginning to drive me CRAZY. The past couple weeks have been nothing but confusion when it comes to the weather. In fact, the weather report seems to be changing at the same time as the weather as they aren't able to keep up either. One minute it is hot & almost balmy... the next minute, it's a snow storm! I know some of you might think that this is better than the rain in the Fraser Valley, and I guess in some ways it is, but for some reason, I am still having a hard time adjusting. At least when I woke up in Chilliwack, if it was raining, it rained all day. No need to pack tank tops, rain jackets & long underwear along "just in case". Maybe I just notice it more since I also have Devun to worry about... Anyway, enough about the weather....

Today Devun & I started our day with a walk to Superstore. Michaelia had posted a brownie recipe on her blog a couple months back, and I finally decided that today was the day to try it. I was short a few ingredients, so Devun & I decided to make the walk in the snow. It was gorgeous out, the sun was shining & snowflakes were falling (yes, back to the weird weather). After we came home we made the brownies. Devun had a blast! He also learned that he could lick off the spatula... I wonder if that is an instict, because I hadn't even got to that part yet... Here are some pictures:



How did the brownies turn out? Really, I have no idea yet... They are still at home on the counter. You see, I need to take some to my mom group tomorrow and I knew if I had cut into them today, there would be none left by the time I got home from work tonight...

1 comment:

michaelia and jason said...

Hey, hope the brownies are a hit with your moms group. I should make them again, it's been awhile. I think Spring weather is crazy most places. It's certainly been erratic here, but I agree, no where is as crazy as Southern Alberta.